Memorization with my Little One

Deuteronomy 6:5-7

You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.

 
 
My son will be 2 years old in two months time. We are doing our best to raise him with rich knowledge from God's word while teaching him secular knowledge, all with the help of our Lord and His spirit. We know how important hiding God's words in His little heart not just because it is a commandment on Deuteronomy 6:5-7 as quoted on the top of this post. Maybe now it is more of hiding in his memory more than his heart since he didn't fully understand all that he memorizes, but I believe in the future he will reap the benefits when his understanding grows. 

 
 
 
How did I start teaching him? I usually recite Psalms 23 to myself and he'll hear me, I was surprised that he can say some words ahead of me. That's when I got the idea to print out the bible memory verses as example above. I've googled images to represent keywords, example Psalm 23:1 say's The "Lord is my shepherd", I will past a picture of a shepherd beside the word shepherd, same also a "my cup overflows", beside it I will pasted an image of a cup with overflowing water being poured. It works well, as I've proved in my experience it is difficult to memorize for long term something you don't understand and this way works for my little one.
 
I would also let him listen to youtube bible memory songs, and he loved it too and says some words from the song. He knew about 8 verses now, we started a few days only. Sometimes when I say the verse references he will say the first keyword. I'm so happy to see his progress! Thanks God who works in Him!
 
 
I also integrated his studies with his ABCs and counting. Like the tree above for counting, I pasted the 9 fruit of the spirit and it helped him a lot to pronounce the words when I would teach read it to him. But that time he only can say "Love, Joy and Peace". Just this week I have discovered a better way on how he would recall the words on this verse Galatians 5:22-23 Fruit of the spirit...
 
 
 

I noticed how he love all kinds of cars, either toys or even real cars  - he would say good night on the cars passing by before he sleeps. Thus I bought him cars in the size that he liked (he liked smaller than the big ones). The good thing of buying something for your little one is you can name them. Yep I named the 9 cars after the 9 fruit of the spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control) and I strategically choose a color more appropriate like red for love, white for goodness, sky blue for gentleness and the like. He started to recall more words and even the orders and their colors! Though at his age he could not pronounce "Patience" well and he would say "chens", and I noticed improvements everyday... say when I ask him where is "kindness"? then he'll pick the car and say "kind...ness", and self-control is "Trol". I could see how happy he was while learning and playing. I will continue to pray that as he grows, these fruits of the spirit will grow in him as well in my whole household in the help of the Lord's Spirit that dwells in us. Glory to God alone! 


"The Law of the Lord is Perfect..."
Psalm 19:10
More to be desired are they than gold,
    even much fine gold;
sweeter also than honey
    and drippings of the honeycomb.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memorizing Plan for the Book of Romans (Progress of John and NT Reading Times)

Revised 5-Year Plan to Memorize New Testament (2019-2023) Note: 2nd Attempt That I didn't Achieved YET!

My Memorization Method and Schedule - Gospel of John on Final Month