Lifestyle Changes as Means of Weeding and Fruits of Memorization

21 December 2015

The changes in my routines and lifestyle has been the fruits of the planted seeds of Words of God in my heart and at the same time, it is the means to make my memorization goals reachable.

When I started entire chapter memorizations, that was around April 2015, I was still working as a full time employee. I've tried to walk from office to work and back as well to make the best use of travel time. This might save a little money and good exercise also, and it did worked since I successfully memorized a few psalms without impact to my regular schedule. However, at that time I was still pumping milk for my baby (breastfeeding) and I noticed that my milk production decreased, so I move away from this method.

Then when book memorizations was planted in my heart on June 2015, I had to be ruthless on myself. I gave up watching TV on the evening and memorized my first book - James in 2 weeks. Then for the next books, I've chosen to give up my lunch-break leisure to check facebook and other internet clutters. That 1 hour lunch break helped me to memorize my target verses for the day which works great. I ate my lunch in 15 minutes then go ahead memorizing and reviewing the past days verses. I've memorized around 5 books using this method for around 4 months (1 Peter, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, Ephesians). I use my evening times (while trying to make my baby sleep) to review or if I missed memorization on the lunch time, I'll do it in the night.

I've noticed that through out the day, during my work, I tend to use 'dead times' like small break times and when there is no work to do, to do memory work. I sometimes use queue time on grocery, travel time and other free times for memory work. Let me explain that before this blessing was planted in my heart, I would usually use all my productive time and even personal time to research new technology and enhance my IT skills. The world had convinced me that I need to do this so that I gain money to provide for my family, and to keep the luxuries I'm enjoying that only money can give. However as I memorize words of God, my heart was being transformed and renewed on every verse I feed on, with the grace of God.

I've realized that where I focus my attention before was in vain, for the world will pass away but the words that I could keep in my heart will never pass away. God says "Heaven and earth will pass away but my words will not pass away" Luke 21:33. Thus, spending all my time researching and loving the things of the world is vanity. Here are the verses that made me dislike and even forsake the things that I usually spend so much time pursuing, emphasis mine:

 1 John 2:15-17
15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life[a]—is not from the Father but is from the world. 17 And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.

Hebrews 13:5 Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

Therefore I prayed to God to enable me to have more time for the word. I don't know how but I just trust He knew the best. I can't just quit my job, living in Singapore is very expensive. However, I do not care to give up all luxuries as long I have food and I have time for the word of God, that in any way I prepare myself to be helpful in His kingdom. The Lord hears my prayers and the bible confirms it in 1 John 5:14 And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us.

The Lord's ways is higher than how we could think, I know He has in control of all that had happened afterwards. Our company started to down-size and wanted to outsource most people and many were asked to leave. They offered me to take a free lance work-from-home with them with retainers fee, that I could ask my price. Praise God! I've asked just enough salary to pay for our food, and bills in Singapore, especially pay for my helper who works full-time for me. Aside to that, they paid me severance package that will enable me to live in Singapore for a long time even they decide to terminate their free lance contract with me. My husband still have work and we have God who will provide all that we will ever need. I had no fear to lose my medical insurance because we have the best healer - Jesus Christ. We practice only divine healing. My heart was peaceful that my salary had been cut down big time, because I just need to fulfil 3 days work a month, even less. No room for luxuries but I didn't care about it anyway. I could apply for job in another company if I want to but I prefer to have more time for the Word of God.

Then when I am memorizing John, reviewing my other 6 books became difficult. I tried to look on my routines to remove clutters. I use to keep at least 1-2 TV series that I watch. However, after researching, I learned that the seed of the enemy can be planted in my heart also through those worldly TV shows, I became ruthless in myself and avoid watching TV altogether. As result, I had more time to review the books I already memorized.

On 21 Dec 2015,  I spent a huge time on facebook, I spent time on other thought provoking posts. Thus, I missed the important parts of my routines. Immediately, I prayed before the Lord that I will have facebook fast for 40 days starting today. I've deleted my facebook apps and I kept only the messenger.

This memorization goal and practice have helped me so much in many ways, may the Lord continue to guide me to meet this project, hoping that on the way the Lord may have use on me for sharing His words to others as well.

Here are some verses on my mind while I am writing this:

Psalms 101:3
I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless. I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me.

Reflections: I will not set before my eyes worldly desire arousing TV shows or worldly views in internet, since most of those who create those shows or posts fall away from the faith, I might learn their ways and fall away too

Galatians 6:7
Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows that will he also reap.  

Reflections: If I plant seeds in the Lord in my heart, I will reap the fruits of the Holy spirit such as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control (Galatians 5:22-23, but if I sow the enemy's seeds such as fleshly shows and posts, then I will also reap corruption in my flesh such as idolatry, jealousy, fits of anger...(complete list in Galatians 5:19,21). Besides, when I planted the wrong seeds and bear the fruit of flesh and cause me to sin, then I will be giving a footstool for the enemy to attack me by sickness and other problems.

Colossians 3:2
"Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth"


1 Timothy 4:8
For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

Reflections: Most TV shows and facebook posts are set on earthy things, but the word of God sets my mind on heavenly things.

29-Sep-2019

I reviewed this blog and realized I needed it again. Now that I am working full time again, I have struggle to make the best use of time and this blog helped me by inspiring me to my goal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memorizing Plan for the Book of Romans (Progress of John and NT Reading Times)

Revised 5-Year Plan to Memorize New Testament (2019-2023) Note: 2nd Attempt That I didn't Achieved YET!

My Memorization Method and Schedule - Gospel of John on Final Month