Progress in Memorizing Gospel of John and Blogs that Encourages Memorization

September 3, 2019
 
I had memorized John 1 to 18 from April to August 2019. However, an issue in my work happened that consumed my thought life. I struggled in my review times, I was looking in my bible but my mind flies. You might be asking, then why not use the "verses" that speaks to "anxiety" to battle off the issue so I could concentrate in my schedule? Yes I do have many "sword of the spirit" in my mind, but sometimes I just have to admit if I let my flesh rule like when I got home tired and stressed, instead of praying and meditating to the source of Life, I try to self-medicate by distracting myself to new tele-series everyone in the house are devouring, then it slips in my mind I am already in the loosing end of the battle. As a result it was about more than a month that I did not follow my review schedules. I didn't feel good that I can't achieve this goal and thanks be to God who helped me to get back to perspective and the issue in my work melted down. There was a time in my life that I would feel guilty and I could not stand up again, but now I know the Lord loves me apart from this discipline, I live in the grace of God, the Gospel is by the works of Christ and not mine that is why I have the confidence to go and ask help to my redeemer when I felt stuck. I should have done earlier, but well, better late than never.
 
As a result, I've got to restart from John 11. It is better to take it slow but surely rather than hurry myself and it will become even more difficult to recall. I have extended my target for John until end of October 2019. I learned that it is better to take it slow and sure, savor every verse until a chapter is memorized and soon the whole Gospel of John, to add in my treasury - constant reminder of the Love of God.
 
One thing that constantly keeps my motivation is to google tips how to memorize. At first, I saw the same things over and over but when I change my search criteria to "memorization bible blog" then there are so much fresh ideas.
 
Let me jot here some:
4. Blind woman who memorized new testament - So I have no excuse myself to finish this quest!
5. Jesus himself had memorized so many verses - and I want to imitate my Lord


September 26, 2019
I read some more blogs that encouraged me

6. David Who Has Memorized 15 Books of the Bible - He said that he memorized Philippians and Philemon in one week out of desperation because he has some condition of eyesight that could not see centrally

7. This blog encouraged me to memorize Romans by Brendan Beale
8. This post talks about a Paul Larson who shared his method in memorizing by listening to audio bible (which apparently does not work for me).

 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memorizing Plan for the Book of Romans (Progress of John and NT Reading Times)

Revised 5-Year Plan to Memorize New Testament (2019-2023) Note: 2nd Attempt That I didn't Achieved YET!

My Memorization Method and Schedule - Gospel of John on Final Month